Pages

Monday, September 13, 2010

Story #3: Dialogue only.

This is a dialogue only story that I wrote for a contest. Sadly, it did not make it through, but I do get plenty of chances up until later in September... so I will be trying again. :)
Let me know what you think!


-----------------------------
A Secret to Share
by Cassie Smartt

"Margaret Beasley?"
"Just Maggie."
"Okay, Maggie. My name is Officer Petty. I am in charge of this investigation. Can you tell me exactly what happened?"
"Well, like I told Officer Keller over there, my friends and I were out for a night swim in this river when Shoe..."
"Meaning Michael Shoeman?"
"Yes... when Michael Shoeman felt something... a hand... brush up against his leg. He grabbed a hold of it and pulled the arm out of the water. When he realized what it was, he freaked out and dropped the arm, then we all hurried out of the water."
"Did anyone else see Mr. Shoeman pull the hand and arm out of the water?"
"Not that I know of. It was too dark to see anything that wasn't right in front of you."
"Okay, so then what happened?"
"Shoe... I mean Michael... got his cell phone and called 911."
"And where were you and your friends prior to the river?"
"We were at Katie's house because her parents are out of town."
"Did you know the boy we pulled from the water... Nicolas Harper?"
"Not personally, but I've seen him at school. He is... well, was... kind of a loner."
"Thank you, Maggie. Now, are you positive there isn't anything else you want to tell me?"
"Um, n-n-no sir."
"Okay, thank you again. That is all I need for now."
"You're welcome."
"Here's my card. Call me if you can think of anything else that would help."
"Okay, I will."
"Mags, you stuck to the story, right?"
"Of course I did. Shoe, what if they find out?"
"They won't find out as long as we all stick to the story."
"I'm scared."
"Well, if you can keep your mouth shut, you shouldn't be."
"But they are taking Nick's body for an autopsy. They are going to find--"
"Maggie! Calm down. When they find it, they won't be able to link it to any of us. Now, shut up before someone overhears you."
"Please, Shoe... let's just tell them the truth. We can tell them it was an accident. They'll have to belie--"
"No! We're not saying anything. If we tell them that now, they'll think we're lying about it being an accident. We're over 18 years old... they'll lock us up for sure."
"I want to go home. I'm cold and wet and I am not sure how much longer I can keep my composure."
"Let me check with Officer Petty to make sure it's alright, and then I'll drive you home."
"Okay, thanks."
"Maggie?"
"Woah! Officer Keller, you scared me."
"I'm sorry. Maggie, I came to offer you a deal. I've heard each one of your friends' stories and I find it hard to believe that six people would tell this same story verbatim without rehearsing it first."
"Officer Keller..."
"Now hear me out... I've known your granddad a long time and he has boasted about what a wonderful and honest young lady you are, so I figured I would come to you. If you come with me to the station and tell me the whole story, the REAL story, I can get the charges dropped for you when the truth comes out."
"What about everyone else?"
"I can't promise anything for them. Just know that the truth will come out in one way or another. Which side of it do you want to be on?"
"..."
"Just think about it for a few minutes and get back to me. I'll be in my car."
"Mags, lets go. I got the okay to take you home."
"Shoe..."
"What's wrong with you? You look like you're going to be sick."
"Shoe..."
"Snap out of it, Mags, before you give our secret away."
"Shoe, you don't need to take me anymore. I found a safe way home."
"What are you talking about? With who?"
"I'm so sorry, I have to do this..."





Creative Commons License
A Secret to Share by Cassie Smartt is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

2 comments:

  1. You are so talented...... I love this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What'd they do?!?!?!

    Keep writing, Cassie! You're incredibly talented!

    P.S. any time you feel like doing 50 more facts about yourself, I'm more than ready to read :)

    ReplyDelete