Pages

Monday, December 20, 2010

I've opened up the doors.

When I was younger, so much younger than today,
I never needed anybody's help in anyway.
But now these days are gone, I'm not so self assured,
Now I find I've changed my mind, I've opened up the doors.
-The Beatles


Warning: this will probably be a depressing/moody post because it's that time of the month where I feel crappy and worthless if you catch my drift. Continue if you think you can handle it. If not, then click here for merriment. Whatev.


I would try to discuss this with some of my close friends in person, but I find it easier to organize my thoughts through typing. So, lets just make it a group discussion, shall we?


I have hardly written anything since I wrote about my singleness. I think this is because ever since I outwardly expressed how much it sucks to be alone (even when surrounded by people), I have felt the hard hitting blow of the reality of it. Before I discussed those same topics out loud to a friend, I think I pushed all of the reality of it back into the farthest and darkest corner of my mind that I could find. And that worked for me. I never gave myself the chance to really deal with it. But, since that conversation that sparked that certain post, reality has hit me from every angle. I am having to deal with the suppression of that feeling. I don't think I have ever felt more alone as I have in these past couple of weeks.


As far as I can recall, nothing has really changed from before I verbally talked about it. I am just becoming more aware of it. It is really taking a toll on me mentally. 


A week ago from last night, I actually had a panic attack. Here is exactly what happened: It was Sunday, so I went to church and lunch with my friend and his family. After lunch, I came home to sleep off a terrible migraine I had. I ended up sleeping for about three hours. When I woke up, I decided to go see the new Narnia movie. I went alone because two of my friends had already seen it and the other two had to wait on someone else to see it, as they promised. So, I was fine with going alone. I have done it plenty of times. Anyway, when the movie was over, I came home to find my roommate wrapping presents. I wasn't in much of a mood to discuss anything, plus I still had a migraine, so I told her I was going to bed. As I layed in bed, I realized I wasn't really that tired, so I turned on my computer and watched videos on YouTube. After a little while, I decided I could try to fall asleep again. I layed down and turned the lights off, planning to drift on into a dreamless sleep so I could just rest. My body had other plans. I was seriously almost asleep when my heart started pounding and my eyes started shedding tears out of nowhere. It wasn't too long until I wasn't able to breathe very well. I was only able to take in about five of the tiniest breaths before exhaling what little was ready to come out of my lungs. I tried taking deep breaths to calm myself down but it was no help. After about forty-five minutes, I finally texted a friend for help. (I wasn't too fond of the idea at first because I thought I could handle it and I didn't really want to burden anyone with this..) He tried to calm me down for a while but it was to no avail. After about thirty minutes, I could feel his words and suggestions starting to help a little, but not much. I eventually got myself to calm down and go to sleep by listening to the song that forever has my heart and a new, just as amazing favorite of mine. It was a bad night.


When we were texting, my friend was asking me what was going on so he could help me through it, but I was a little too embarrassed to confess what I was feeling. It seemed silly and I didn't want to seem like I was overreacting. Looking back, I should have just said something, it probably would have helped to talk about it.


Anyway, it was the feeling of being alone that attacked me. I am not always alone, I mean I do hang out with my friends when they can, but most days, I go to work and I come home and find a one person project to do or I go out and find something slightly more interesting than sitting home alone. I enjoy some alone time, but this is starting to get old. It has me thinking of drastic changes; like moving. Now, if you know me personally, you know I will talk to death about moving. There are plenty of times where I have talked the talk but nothing has come of it. (The only time it actually happened was when I graduated high school. I moved here, to TN.) But nonetheless, I seriously consider it and even try to convince myself to follow through. Don't get me wrong, that is not the only solution I have thought of/tried to do to deal with it. I have been relentlessly talking with God about it (well, I have done most of the talking, which I know needs to change) and I have talked with a few close friends about it, but still... nothing. And even when I do get an opportunity to be around a friend, sometimes I just want to pass it up and be alone because I already feel that way... it does nothing to help the situation.


I guess the reason for this depressing and seemingly "pity me" spurt of a blog is to ask you all, how do I go about coping/dealing with all of this emotional baggage? It is getting to be too much and it's eating up my thoughts. So, help me...please?

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I feel the exact same way. You just put it into words that I couldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.” Matthew 11:28-30.
    We have discussed our similarities in this area so my heart goes out to you right now. I have so much to say about this but I'll wait til we have a dinner date :-) I love you Cassie Brooke Smarrt! Just remember you are not alone and you ARE LOVED by so may people. It's ok to be sad at times and to grieve in your loneliness but don't allow it to kill who you are. You are a beautiful woman created for GREAT things, and because of the great plans that are created ahead Satan will do anything to keep you away from the wonderful plans of Christ. Hold tight girl and don't be afraid to pour your heart out to other like you did here. You probably feel better already just having it off your chest :-D I LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete