Pages

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Incredible; and other adjectives.

Since I last posted, I became an owner of a Droid Incredible, meaning I now have access to the internet/facebook/youtube wherever I go. For this reason, I haven't been on the computer as much and therefore have not written a thing for my blog. Lame excuse, I know... but I am here now, so I guess that's all that matters. :)

I have to say this is quite an awesome cell phone. The thing I wanted most in a new phone was thread texting. (I didn't really care for the rest of it because of my iPod touch.) I love the organization of the texts... it really excites me. :D I also downloaded an app that lets my texting look like that of an iPhone (you know, the "thought bubbles"); its so cute! And the camera is marvelous. It has flash and everything! I can also make my own ringtones, which I miss so much. I used to make them on my computer (rest in peace, old buddy) before it passed on. So after almost two years, I was finally able to make them again... how glorious!

Besides being completely obsessed with getting to know my new smart phone, I have filled the days in between these posts with other fun events.

I started reading and completed a book the other day called Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. Before I tell you what it was about (because the way it sounds, it might be a turn off...), I want to tell you what I thought of it. I really enjoyed the implied message of the story. It encourages others to be careful of how they treat others because you never know how your actions/words will affect those around you. Even though what you do/say seems harmless, what each one of us does to a single person builds up inside of them and when things get to a point of someone thinking there is no way out or no help that can be sought, that person may decide to permanently stop their suffering through suicide.

Now for the plot: (This is from the official book website.)
Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker--his classmate and crush--who committed suicide two weeks earlier. On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list. Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers.
And, before you think "she is just blaming everyone else on her suicide"... I can tell you she takes full responsibility for her choice. But, you do have to admit, ridicule and rumors are the spark that ultimately ignites her decision. We all need to be careful of our actions and if we sense something is wrong with a person, we need to reach out and explore all options of help.

Okay, now for the non-depressing portion of this broadcast...

Bubba came in town for his fall break; his presence always makes for fun times. He had some friends over Friday night to hang out at his house. We played Rock Band for a while and then he and Douglas played their guitars and sang to their small audience as we sat on his back deck. With the coolness of the air and the stars shining above, it was the perfect little concert. :)

I was also at his house last night to hang out with his dear family that I love so much. I just love how sweet they are. They went to Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure this past week for fall break and they brought me back a Gryffindor blanket from the Wizarding World of Harry Potter! It is quite fantastic! It's red and yellow and has the Gryffindor crest on it in all of it's majestic glory. Thank you, Johnson family!
We "made science" last night. xD We mixed corn starch and water; it makes this goo that, when has applied force on the surface, it is a solid and when is poured slowly or has no force on it, it is a liquid. It was a fun little experiment. We even mixed food coloring in the three separate bowls of goo... the colors made it even more exciting! My fingers are still stained blue. Haha.

Ash and I are planning the scavenger hunt for my cousin's Twilight birthday party on Saturday and we haven't even begun thinking of the first clue. We have been procrastinating for a little under a month now. Way to go, Cassie and Ashley. We have three days (sigh) to dish out rhyming clues that all have to do with Twilight, Coolidge Park, and finding Bella. I hope it's easier than it sounds. But I suppose it will turn out great no matter what... it's going to be a cute party. We are planning to meet tonight to get started and hopefully finished... cross your fingers!

That is all for now.
I hope you all are having an incredible week! ;)

2 comments:

  1. Ah! I must read this book Thirteen Reason's Why!!! It's sounds like a book that's of my interest :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, Cass! I forgot how fun it is just to read what's going on in people's lives. Good luck with the scavenger hunt, even though I know yall will make it happen!

    ReplyDelete