Pages

Monday, April 26, 2010

The burning of sin.

A couple of my friends started a Bible study for our group, and our first meeting was on Wednesday night. The study we are going through is called "The Quest". The first lesson was really great! We talked about the sin and the "little gods" that we put between God and ourselves.
What is so great about this study is that it has a challenge to go along with each lesson. Our first challenge was to make a list/pile of things that we put between us and our relationship with God, whether it be objects, emotions, relationships, etc., and burn them. So, Friday night we did just that. We had a bonfire at Hannah's grandparents' house and had an awesome time fellowshiping with brothers and sisters in Christ and worshiping the Lord. We decided to explain a few of the things we were burning. The explanations were more of a declaration to self and God that we will never put that object/feeling/emotion/what-have-you in front of Him on our list of priorities.

One of the things I threw in was a handful of movie ticket stubs. Going to movies isn't such a bad thing (every once in a while) but I realized that I go to the movies too often to run away from life and life's problems. If I ever have a bad day at work or something is really bothering me, I will go to the movies (with or without someone else) so that I can live someone else's life for a couple of hours. Then the feelings and problems I possessed before the movie get pushed down deep inside of me and I do nothing about them. Everything then builds up and really takes a toll on me. That is no longer an option for me. I choose to now and forever go to God first with anything and everything, and I will also seek out help from those around me that I love and trust so much.

Life really is better once you have given everything to the Lord!


Inspirational Text #4:
Tonight men, as we approach our enemies, go in with confidence. The will to win is everything. Shamgar. Need I say more? The odds were 600 against 1. Oxgoad in hand he showed everyone of them their final resting place, but his real weapon... faith. So have faith in yourself and each other, Let them tast defeat!
-jcs


Edit: I had a filler in one of the lines of this blog so I could find out the author of the Bible study... I saw just now that I neither replaced the filler with his name nor deleted "FIND OUT NAME"... I'm an idiot. :P
Needless to say, I have now deleted it.

No comments:

Post a Comment