Pages

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Novel Excerpt

I have decided to be generous and share another excerpt from my book. This excerpt allows you to get to know a few of the characters a little bit.


Again, these events happen before the prologue happens.


To specifiy:
Brielle Porter is his friend.
Olivia is his girlfriend.
(There was confusion about who Porter was.
Riley will call Brie that sometimes.)


This is still in its rough stages... sorry for any typos or grammatical errors.


Enjoy!


---


"Riley Brooks Parker, why didn't you call me back last night?" Brielle asks me in her so-called threatening voice. "I told you I needed to talk to you."


She gives me a stern look as we stop at her locker on the way to Calculus.


"Sorry, Brie, the girlfriend called and you know I couldn't very well tell her I needed to call you instead of talking to her. She would kill me," I laugh.

"She sure does have you wrapped tightly around that dainty little finger of hers, doesn't she? And I highly doubt you two talked all night. You could have at least had the courtesy to let me know my news wasn't very high on your list of priorities for the night," the sarcasm pours out effortlessly.


"I told you I'm sorry, what else do you want me to say?" I ask, a little too pointedly.


"Nothing, Riley," she huffs. "But you did not have to avoid me all day. You knew it wouldn't last long until I finally caught up with you." Brie grabs her book and slams the locker door a bit harder than needed. But, I caught the eye roll. That usually means she has forgiven me and the argument is over.


"So, what was the news anyway?" I ask, curiously.


"Oh, nothing. It's not important anymore." She is still upset about something, I can tell. She is not too suave when it comes to hiding her emotions.

"Of course it is. Just tell me," I give her a cheesy smile, "Please?"


"Later. When I have enough time to tell you everything. I'd rather it be in person anyways. But it's not really news, just something I need to talk to you about."


Hm, must be important.


"Okay, whatever you say, Porter."


We sit down and get ready for class.

Brielle is my rock, my best friend. The connection we have is hard to put into words. It has been this way since we were first able to walk. Even back then, nothing could separate us. Though, it helps that we live next door to each other.


She is the only person that I can honestly count on. I have been let down so many times by so many people: my divorced parents, superficial friends, even dishonest authority figures that claim to have it all together. Brie is, in a word, good. Dependable, honest, reserved, kind, easy going, and beautiful on the inside and out.

We have been there for each other through our darkest times. She is the only one I can talk to about my parent's divorce. She understands that all I need is someone to be quick to listen and slow to speak. She doesn't try to diagnose my problems or fix them, Brie is just there for me. And when her mom passed away seven years ago, I made sure I was there when she needed a shoulder to cry on. We help pick each other up when we have fallen down and given up. I don't know where I'd be if I didn't have her by my side.


My girlfriend, Olivia, is Brie's opposite. Olivia is eccentric, loud, a talker, and a bit materialistic. I suppose it's the combination of her personality traits, but she doesn't get along with most people. I can even sense Brie's irritation with her at times. But, Olivia is fun. And I'm not trying to take things so seriously at my age. I'm a high school senior; this is the last year I really have to take it easy and just have fun with everything. And my girlfriend is no exception. I would never tell Brie that though, she would disapprove of my intentions.

Besides this calculus class, my school day is pretty easy. I actually do not mind being at school this year. I have most classes with Brie so that may have something to do with it also.

The class drags on until the bell finally announces the end of the school day.

Brie walks over to my desk, "So, do you think we could do something tonight? I can't even remember the last time we watched a movie together. I hear the new thriller is really good."


"Sorry, Porter, I'm actually taking Olivia to see it. She told me it was our seven month anniversary today. I told her we could have a date night."


And cue the sarcastic remark, "Ah, yes, the seven month anniversary. We all know how important that one is," she shakes her head.


"Well of course she wants to celebrate. What can I say? I'm a great catch," I reply with a wink and a smile.


"If your ego gets any bigger, you won't be able to fit through the door," she starts to walk away, "Call me when you can fit me into your busy schedule."


"Drama queen," I call out.


Her response is almost instant, "Narcissist."


Olivia goes to my school's rival so I won't see her until later when I pick her up for our date. My mom is not too fond of my girlfriend. For some reason, they clash and I can't exactly figure out why. Because of that, we don't spend much time at my house.

Olivia has only met my dad once. After the divorce, he moved to Seattle and he has only visited once a year since he moved there four years ago. I have only been there twice. I talk to him every now and then, but it's not like it used to be.


Things are different with Mom too. When we talk, we hardly go below the surface. I don't tell her about the things going on in my life because she tries to control it all. She also still does some of the things we used to do when her and Dad were together, like going to the movies on Sunday after church, Spaghetti Wednesdays, and she reads the Bible out loud every night in our living room. I know she misses my dad, but most of the time, she does those things alone because I gave up on those things when he gave up on her. She tries to live in the past, and I can not stand to watch the pain she goes through. She tries to convince me that she is fine and God has control of it all, but I do not believe it.


In fact, I don't go to church much anymore. I only go for the holidays like Easter and Christmas. I have seen too many disappointing things happen in my life to give praise to someone who let it all happen. I can't even forgive my parents for what they put me through, how could I forgive God?


Brie still goes to the church I used to go to, where my mom still goes. Every now and then she'll bring up something faith related but she knows not to push it with me, unlike my mom. Mom is always trying to get me to go to church or read the Bible again with her, but my heart just is not in it.



I pull up to the house and walk towards the front door. I can see Brielle about to walk into her house so I yell out to her, "Hey, Brie, how does tomorrow sound?"


"What is happening tomorrow?"


"Just me and you, renting a movie and watching it at your house. It will be like old times," I smile.


"Sounds good to me! Don't forget to bring the popcorn!" she yells.


"Like I could forget, I've been doing it practically my whole life," I tease.


"Have fun tonight. I'll see you later, Riley."


I rush upstairs to get ready for tonight. I am taking Olivia to dinner before the movie. Maybe I will take her to Tony's downtown. It's nice and romantic, she will love it.


By the time I finish my homework, shower, and throw on clothes, it is time to pick her up. I get in the car and head to her house.


Olivia's dad opens the front door and ushers me into the living room.


"She's not quite ready yet," he says, going back to reading his newspaper as I sit on the couch.


"She never is, is she?" I laugh.


"Now, that is a woman's prerogative, is it not?" Olivia asks, walking into the room.


"Oh, wow. Babe, you look beautiful," I stand and kiss her on the cheek.


"Thank you," she smiles and spins, "it's a new dress. I wanted to look good for my boyfriend tonight."


"More than good, you look radiant. Ready to head out?"


"I am," she grabs my hand and a jacket, "bye, Daddy. I'll be home later."


"Bye, you two. Have a good time," he never looks up from the paper.

I open the car door for Olivia. She stops and turns towards me, "Really, no flowers?"


Dang, "No, sorry. I didn't have time to stop anywhere."


"So, you didn't get me anything?" she asks, surprised.


"It's not exactly a gift kind of anniversary. We have only been dating for seven months," I explain.


She huffs and plops down in the passenger seat. By the time I get in on my side, her arms are crossed and she is facing away from me.


"Olivia, I'm sorry. I don't exactly know the protocol of anniversaries," I confess as I put a hand on her shoulder.


She does not respond so I start the car and pull out of the driveway.


"Can we please just try to have a good time?" I desperately ask, "I don't want to fight tonight."


"Fine," she turns towards me, "Where are we going?"


"To that nice Italian place downtown," I proudly tell her.


We ride in silence until we park at the restaurant. Looks like it will be a great night.


I open her door and take her hand, "Please forgive me." I give her the saddest looking puppy eyes I can manage.


She giggles, "Okay, I will let you slide just this once."


"Thank you," I say as I usher her inside the restaraunt.


The hostess asks, "A table for two?"


I nod, "On the upstairs balcony, if you have a table available," I say with hope.


"Sure. Follow me, please," she leads us up the stairs and out of the door.


It is a clear night and with this soft candle lighting, we can see every star burning bright.


We are seated in the far right corner. It has a view of the city lights and the river. I couldn't have planned for a more perfect spot.


I look at Olivia, "This is great. We have an amazing view."


I smile as she looks back at me with a sour face, "It is freezing out here. And I can not even see the menu."


I take off my jacket and put it around her, "Better?"


"Hardly."


"I can ask if they will move us inside," I suggest reluctantly.


"Yeah, let's go," she stands and walks towards the door.


We go back downstairs to find the hostess, "Ma'am, I'm so sorry, but could we move to a table inside instead? It was a little too chilly for my girlfriend."


"Okay, no problem. Follow me," she gestures, I sense a little irritation.


"Thank you so much," I respond. We are moved to a table downstairs by the kitchen. The hostess leaves as our waiter walks up.


"Hi, my name is Cody and I will be your waiter for this evening. What can I start you off with to drink?" he asks.


I nod towards Olivia, "I'll have water."


He turns to me, "Sweet tea, please."


"I'll be right back with your drinks," he says as he walks away.


Olivia pulls out her cell and sends a text back to whoever just messaged her. She then puts the phone down on the table and looks at me expectantly, waiting for me to speak.


I ask the first thing that pops into my head, "So, how was your day, Babe?"


"It was fine, I guess. Blakeley and I skipped the last two periods and went to the mall," she said as the waiter placed our drinks and a basket of bread in front of us.


The waiter takes out his order pad, "So, guys, what will you be having tonight?"


Olivia speaks up, "Just the house salad with the dressing on the side."


"I'll have the Chicken Parmesan, please," I tell him.


"Alright, I'll get your order put right in," Cody announces, then turns and walks away.


"You skipped school?" I ask, she nods. "Olivia, you need to stop doing that. You need to take school more seriously."


"Chill, it was just two classes. Plus, I wanted to get a new outfit for tonight," she said, rolling her eyes.


"It's not just those two classes today; you skip at least once a week. You're going to eventually get caught," I reasoned.


"Okay DAD. Stop hounding me about it," she replies.


I pick up a breadstick and take a bite. Anything to keep me from saying something I'll regret. I do not know why she does things like that… skipping school, cheating on tests, talking herself out of situations she gets herself into, it gets ridiculous. For a senior, she can be pretty immature.


We sit in silence and stare off in different directions until the food finally arrives. I have got to lift the mood or it will be a very long night.


"I am excited to see that new action thriller. I have heard great reviews on it," I say, reopening the conversation.


She shoots me a look, "Do we really have to go see that tonight? It doesn't look very good to me. I would rather see that new Kate Hudson movie."


"The chick flick?" I groaned, "What if we just did something else instead?"


"Like what?" she huffed.

"Oh, I don't know, we could walk around downtown or play putt-putt or something…" I suggested. "What would you like to do?"


"I'm wearing heels," she blurted out.


"Okay, fine… we can just go see your movie," I said, giving in. If she gets mad at me, I will hear it for days.


Too late, though, I already upset her, "No, Riley, I think I just want to go home after dinner."


"Seriously?" I make my voice sound frustrated, "Are you mad at me now?"


"Yes, I am. You are not taking our seven month anniversary seriously. You should have planned an entire romantic evening but all you did was plan to take me to dinner and a movie. Then you tell me to decide what to do because I am upset with the fact that you chose an unrealistic thriller to watch instead of a movie about love. AND you didn't even get me a gift, or in the very least, flowers," Olivia explains as her voice reaches new decibels, "Some boyfriend you are."


"Oh my goodness, Olivia, the seven month anniversary isn't even one to be celebrating like this. It has only been seven months, not seven years," I argue, "You are being really immature and materialistic right now and it is not flattering you."


"Take me home. Now," she demands.


"Fine," I turn in my chair to find Cody, our waiter. He was not too far away so I ask, "I'm sorry, can we have the check now, please?"

Cody grabs his receipt book, "Certainly. Was everything okay with your dinner?"


I answer in a friendly voice, "It was great, thank you."


I pull out cash and hand it to him with a smile, "Keep the change."


"Thank you, sir. You folks have a great night," he replies.


"You too," I say.

I stand up from the table and look at Olivia who is sitting in her chair with a pout on her face. She finally stands then follows me out of the restaurant. When we get to the car, I open her door and shut it forcefully behind her. I get into my seat, and then she decides to speak.


"Babe, I'm sorry. I overreacted. You are right, this shouldn't be a big deal," she sinks her head down.


Her expectation is what gets me. She expects me to always have everything exactly the way she wants it. She expects that I do things up to her standards. She expects me to read her mind apparently.


"It's fine," but I don't ease my tone, "Just as long as you know."


I start to drive without another word.


Several minutes later, she can not stand the silence, "Are you really taking me home now?"


"Yes."


"But I said I'm sorry. We could still try to have a good night out," she pouts, "You can take me to see that movie. I guess that will be fine."


HA, "No, I better just take you home."


She thinks for just a moment, "Well, can we try again tomorrow night? It will be better then."


"I've got plans already."


"With who?!" she raises her voice, "It better not be with little miss I'm-too-good-for-everyone-because-I'm-a-Christian. You know I don't like you hanging out with her. I see the way she looks at you; she likes you, Riley. And I wouldn't put it past her to try and steal you from me."


I am livid, "Olivia, she is my best friend. If you don't like me hanging out with her, then tough luck. I will be spending as much time with her as I want to. And I am so tired of you feeling threatened by her. She doesn't give me a look. We have been best friends since we were in diapers. That's all we are… best friends. Now I know you can't understand that concept of having one friend for more than a year or two, but that is what I have. With her. She is staying in my life whether you like it or not."


"So you would choose your friend over your girlfriend?" she asks, as we pull into her driveway.


"Are you giving me an ultimatum?" I ask.


She takes a second to gather her thoughts.


"Yes, yes I am. It's Brielle or me. Your friend, or your girlfriend."


I answer all too quickly, "Her. I choose her."


Olivia drops her jaw and stares at me in amazement, "You don't mean that."


"Yes I do," I answer sternly.


"Babe," She starts in with her wounded voice, "so you are just willing to throw away our relationship? Just like that?" she asks, bewildered. I know her; she uses this voice when she wants something from me. ONLY when she wants something from me. Afterwards, she is fine; everything goes back to normal and it is as if it never happened.


"I'm sure you will be just fine, Babe." I keep a tight grip on the wheel and never turn in her direction.


"Please, Riley, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to--" she grabs my arm.


I shake off her grip, "Yes you did. You meant it all." I was not backing down from my defense. "Brie has done nothing to deserve anything you throw in her direction. This isn't just about tonight. I have caught every little thing you implied about her over the months and I have just pushed it aside. I thought time would make things better, I thought it would make you two friends, but it hasn't. I don't want to keep putting either of you through this, it's not fair."


"You are only being not fair to me," she responds, "Give me another chance. Please?"


I do not respond right away to Olivia. I am not sure of what to do. Should I give her another chance? Maybe she needed this argument to realize how awful she is about Brie. Maybe this will make her want to be friends with my friend.


I finally turn in her direction and look her in the eye, "Olivia, I just need time to think. Give me a couple of days to get my head on straight. I'll call you when I am ready to talk."


She breaks eye contact and hangs her head in shame, "Okay, Riley. A couple of days. Then everything will be better."


I look back out towards the front of the car and choose not to correct her. Everything may not be better, for her at least. Olivia opens her door and steps out of the car. She turns back to me to say one last thing, "I love you."


I keep staring straight ahead. She shuts the car door and heads inside.

I pull out of the driveway and start towards my house. It is only 8:57 pm, I wonder if Brie would still want to hang out. But if I go there now, she will know something is up with me and Olivia, and I am not sure I want to make it public yet. No, I will just wait until tomorrow to see her, and I will not say anything about Olivia until I am sure of what I want to do. Although, I am fairly certain.


---


What do you think?
Should he give Olivia another chance?
Leave a comment below!

3 comments:

  1. SO STINKIN GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!! If he gives Olivia another chance, I promise we won't be friends for a full 5 minutes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. uggghhh casssie.... you are killing me by letting me read bits and pieces... i want to read more!! lol you are an AMAZING writer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!! I say give her another chance =) Although I don't think they will end up together. But he has more to learn from her =)

    I LOVE it!!!

    MORE MORE MORE! please...

    ReplyDelete