Pages

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Prologue.

Thank you so much to everyone who became a follower... You guys rock!
And a special thanks to Jacob for being #30! You sealed the deal. ;)

It was cold and rainy all morning - my ideal weather. Needless to say, I am in a great mood and very excited to share an excerpt from my novel with you.

Here is a little background before you read the prologue:
The novel is in first person point of view.
The guy whose view it is in is named Riley. (Haven't chosen a last name yet.)
Age reference: he is a senior in high school.
Chapter 1 starts at a time before the events in the prologue happen. The story will lead up to this point and then you will get to see what happens next.

I hope it is intriguing enough to grab your attention and I hope you enjoy it!

p.s. Sorry for the roughness of the grammar and what not... it hasn't been edited yet.

---

My name is written in the unmistakable handwriting of the girl next door. But why? Why do I have this sealed envelope in my hands when she should be here beside me? 

It has already been almost two hours since they started my treatment in this small, cold hospital room. I have asked everyone that passes through where my best friend is. Brielle should be here. She promised to be here. It seems as though everyone is avoiding me; even my parents.

Brielle's father was the last to stop by. When I begged for an answer, he only handed me this envelope with my name on it. Mr. Porter did not even look me in the eye when he said, "She wants you to read this."

"Where the hell is she?!" I yelled at him. The way his face went white was unnerving. The guilt from my outburst never surfaced because of the overpowering rage I felt.

Something is wrong and these people are not telling me what it is. Why won't Brie just come tell me what she needs to say instead of having her father give me this stupid letter?

I hear the door click open.

"Riley, how are you feeling?"

"Angry, Mom. Where is Brie?" I demand.

"I meant, how is your chest and body feeling? Sore from where they put the IV in?" She asks in a shaky voice.

"It's fine," I say, lowering my tone; I don't need to be so upset with her. Whatever this is can't be her fault. "Mom, I really need you to tell me where she is. Is she still upset with me? Why won't she come see me?"

"Son, just read the letter. She asked us to give it to you before anything else was said."

I look back at the envelope, "I'm scared of what is in it, of what is not being said to me."

Maybe if I never read it, it will all go away and she will walk through the door to comfort me with her smile. I squeeze my eyes shut. Lord, please let her be okay.

"I will give you some privacy. Push the call button if you need the nurse. Or even if you just need me. We will both be right in,” she says as she walks towards the door.

I stare at my name trying to uncover Brie’s secret through each letter that was carefully written. 

Mom opens the door and turns back towards me, "I love you," she says as her voice weakens to sadness. The door clicks shut.

Maybe this is all a dream and I am about to wake up. It has to be.

How can it be a dream, though, when I can feel the sharp sting and burning pain in my chest? It is time for more pain killers. The medicine will help me sleep; it will keep me from reading this letter. Maybe I should call the nurse in to give me the medicine so I will not have a chance to read it.

I don't want to read whatever this letter says. I should tear it up and throw it away. Brie not coming in here by now for whatever reason is just ridiculous. What could she possibly want to tell me in a letter that she could not tell to my face? We grew up together, we know each other, we talk about everything… if she wants me to know what she has to say, she can talk to me right here, in this room.

But what if something bad happened? Now that I think about it, each person I asked responded to my questioning with the same expression... first sadness, then pity. Pity for me, though, not her. What could that mean?

I guess now there is only one way to find out...


---


Let me know what you think!
Leave a comment below.
:)

12 comments:

  1. cassie i hate that i just read this bc now i want MORE!! ahhhh i hate not knowing what happens

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was me by the way... still figuring this thing out lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooo.... I'm very intrigued! :) Can't wait to read the rest. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to know what the letter says.. Im your mom tell me...lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simply amazing..I can only hope you will share the rest after it is completed. This is written by a truly talented author. Keep it up ms. Smartt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AH! Loved it!!!! I want to read more!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cassie!!! You are SO talented...I loved it!!! :) Can't wait to read more!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved it! Yes, you have been blessed with a wonderful talent. I can't wait to read more....

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is pretty grood Cassie! I'm excited to read the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow like everyone else said this is extremely awesome and I can't wait to have the honor of reading the rest of your story. Keep up your wonderful writing skills!

    ReplyDelete
  11. haha im glad im the only one that knows what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to read more Cassie!!! This is sooo good and now that I know the characters, I haaave to know what happens!!!

    You are such a great writer! Please don't stop!!!

    ReplyDelete