Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Everything and Nothing.

I am using Barnes and Noble for their internet. I came here specifically to write a blog for the 16th day of BEDA and got so consumed in these documentaries, that I almost forgot.

I am somewhere in the second part of this documentary of "Everything and Nothing". The first part - "Everything" - is about space and the beginning of the study of space. It expands on the distance of stars, mathematical and physical theories, and paints the picture of "everything" to its edges. It is truly fascinating.

I have always been so interested in stars and space, and everything new that I learn about them blows my mind. It's like God was creating an incredible piece of art so beautiful and so detailed that it begs the question, how could a sovereign being not have created it and the world in which we know? For there to be that much detail in the vast expansion of the galaxy, of the universe, and also in the fleck of dust that is our planet and in each of its living beings, there should be no question at all.

The second part - "Nothing" - explores the voids, the emptiness, of the universe. The laws of nature go out of their way to make sure we can't create nothing until we can reach the specific weight of the atmosphere. The weight of the atmosphere was tested and proven to change at increased elevations. This lead to the realization that the earth is encased in an atmosphere that thins out rapidly as you go further into space. It's incredible how a single thought can be taken and elaborated so that new discoveries and advances are formed. I am in awe of our unique world.

I am only about ten minutes into "Nothing" so I am going to get back to it before B&N closes and I have to leave. I hope this semi-educational post has been a nice change. If this kind of thing interests you, I would definitely recommend watching them. And if you know of any other great documentaries, I'm always on the lookout for more!

1 comment:

  1. now i can see you mean Everything to Nothing

    ReplyDelete